1. 12 Original Newmarket sausages
2. 115g (4oz) Plain flour, sieved
3. 5g (1tsp) English mustard powder
4. Salt, to taste
5. 180g (6oz) Whole egg, 3 medium eggs
6. 285ml (10floz) Whole milk
7. 6 Sprigs of thyme, leaves only
8. 20ml (¾floz) Vegetable oil
9. 50g (1¾oz) Butter
10. 300g (10½oz) Onion, sliced
11. 1ltr (33floz) Boiling water
12. 75g (2½oz) Gravy granules
1. In a round-bottomed bowl, mix the plain flour, English mustard powder and salt.
2. Whisk the eggs and milk together, slowly add to the flour, whisking from the centre until you have a smooth batter. Add the thyme leaves and rest the batter for 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oil and the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the sausages and onion until golden brown.
4. Remove the sausages from the pan into an oven-proof non-stick dish and place in the oven at 220°C, Gas Mark 7, until cooked.
5. Meanwhile, pour a little boiling water onto the onions in the frying pan to ‘de-glaze’.
6. Add the remaining boiling water and stir in the gravy granules. Place a lid on the gravy to keep warm.
7. Once the sausages are cooked, pour over the batter and place back in the oven for approx. 20 minutes, or until brown and crisp.
8. Serve with the onion gravy.