1. 454g of Musk’s Newmarket sausagemeat
2. 2 red onions
3. 100g demerara sugar
4. 200ml good quality balsamic vinegar
5. 4 sprigs fresh thyme
6. 1 small packet of rolled flaky pastry
7. 1 whole egg (separated)
8. Table salt
10. 1 plastic piping bag
1. Finely slice the red onions and thyme. Slowly sweat until soft with no colour.
2. Add the sugar and sweat slowly until it dissolves. Follow this by adding the balsamic vinegar and reduce until all the vinegar has worked its way through the onions. Cook until a the onions become a sticky jam. Season with a pinch of table salt.
3. Leave the jam to cool and then beat through the sausage meat.
4. Weigh the mix and add 10% of its weight in water to the mixture., this makes the mix looser and a lot easier to work with.
5. Place mixture in piping bag and leave to rest while you roll out the pastry.
6. Pipe the sausage meat on the pastry leaving a lip to fold over and roll up. Egg wash the lip with egg white. Once the mix is rolled tight glaze the pastry with a beaten egg yolk. Leave to chill in the fridge before slicing.
7. Bake at 180c fan for 20 minutes.